Wednesday, September 2, 2009

It's not over yet: Making Blackberry Jam


I feel as though when the canning begins, summer is ending. Although we technically have three weeks left, sadly, Seattle decided to begin fall tomorrow with a week's worth of rain. As I cry to myself about needing umbrellas and morn the 10 pm sunshine, I have to remember the good that fall ushers in, delicious, fresh, local, "organic" produce!

My time as a "canner" began last year with an achingly long day of preserving with my boss and friend Katie. Not knowing what we were in for, we decided to make pickles, barbeque sauce, sweet and sour sauce, and chutney. IN ONE DAY! It was exhausting, but I loved it, and I'm hooked!

This year I've pickled carrots and green beans, made amazing zucchini pickles with a recipe from www.LeloNopo.com, and blackberry jam!

Homemade jam is close to my heart. My very bestfriend Katherine de la Fuente and I are friends because our moms made jam together! I remember being lifted up to see the overripe California strawberries stewing away in big pots. We don't get an abundance of strawberries in Seattle, but we do have blackberry brambles everywhere! Mom and I foraged blackberries from the beach by her house, mixed in a little pectin, and voila! Jam!* It's gotten good reviews from discerning tasters, so I'm happy. I'm happy even if summer is ending, and I'll be slightly soggy for the next ten months!

Next time...Summer in a nutshell...Boys, Boats, Family, Lori's wedding, and other summer fun!










*It's not really that easy, but you get the idea!















No comments:

Post a Comment

Find your Farmers Market