Sunday, January 31, 2010

Craftiness! Ribbons and Flowers

Hi there!

My previous post about the lovely flowers of Emerson Made, got me scheming. So Friday after work, I headed over to my most favorite sewing store ever! (I must speak in superlative here.)
Nancy's Sewing Basket is tucked into the north end of Queen Anne, and is truly a treasure chest. Not only do they carry a wonderful assortment of unique fabrics, but they also carry luscious wedding dress fabrics, quality millinery supplies, some vintage items, and of course they have the ribbon room!

The ribbon room is the reason I am writing. It is small and literally packed with the most gorgeous ribbon you will ever see. The woman who works there is a connoisseur of all things buttons, ribbons, and silk flowers. If you live in Seattle, you simply must visit! Next time I go, I will take pictures to share, but really you should go there and see for yourself!

Here's what I brought home . . .


And here's what I made . . .

 My version of the Emerson Made Big Poppy made using advice from 100Layer Cake

 

I couldn't help myself, I had to buy some of Nancy's amazing handrolled silk flowers! I had to! I made them into a sash and tied little green french knots along the ribbon to give it a decidedly springy feel. Sigh.

  
 These are some ribbons I actually bought at Ester's on Bainbridge (another wonderful fabric store). The top one is made by Laura Foster Nicholson and the bottom one is Midori.


I did not have time to use the red poppy ribbon yesterday. I received an urgent phone call from my mother-in-law saying I must drop whatever it was I was doing and come to Salvation Army, because everything was 50% off, even their great antique department. I bought a fabulous faux fur jacket, and antique glassware.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Find your Farmers Market